Where Can South African Lawyers Work Abroad

Once you have decided to work abroad, make sure that your CV highlights your “international qualities”. This may include previous study or work abroad, foreign or dual nationality, language skills, or even international activities at Duke Law School. International activities may include membership in the International Law Society or other international clubs, language lunches, language courses or the service of an LLM mentor. Registration for the JD/LLM program must absolutely be included. You must also indicate your planned participation in a summer institute. This means that you will probably have to pass the QLTS (Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme) and then comes the hard part; Gain work experience. A number of Duke law students get summer jobs abroad during their 1L summer working with employers in private firms, NGOs, and other organizations. Whether for all or part of a summer or with a private or public organization, working abroad offers students a unique and unforgettable experience. About 20 to 25 1L work abroad each summer, usually in private practice in countries such as Belgium, Germany, Korea, Switzerland, China, Japan and Thailand. Students have also worked for public service organizations in countries such as Ecuador, Peru and South Africa. In the UK, this is so often the case that you can have as many qualifications as you want in the legal profession, but the simple fact is that you can only progress through the law if you have professional experience and relevant work experience.

With relevant work experience, we mean that if you are considering choosing a position in a private law firm (by private practice in the UK we mean lawyers who practice on behalf of clients or consumer companies and not in-house, where you work exclusively for an employer who advises them), you must gain experience in private practice. This is what employers are looking for and in most cases they don`t really care if you have 15 years of experience in South Africa. I know this is an old post, but just to update.NO, you can`t take the New York Bar exam IF you went to UNISA. You will also not allow LLM 20 credits based on UNISA LLB because you MUST have attended on-campus (live) courses. Other universities in South Africa are doing well, i.e. Pretoria, Wits, etc. My husband went to UNISA and our friends went to Pretoria – they got the YES to take the exam and my husband got the answer NO – even if you are already a lawyer/practising lawyer, it doesn`t matter, the answer is NO. Only UNSIA is rejected. Other LLB graduates can take the exam. Get a visa and move on, but if you don`t have a green card to live on, that`s another story. The exam would only be on your resume, but they won`t let you immigrate just because you passed the bar exam – they have a lot of lawyers in the UNITED States. A number of documents that must be sent to the ANC by the institution where you completed your legal training, including: Thank you for your answers so far.

The UNISA law degree is considered a professional qualification and the programme lasts at least 4 years, which involves the completion of 40 semester subjects. The degree is fully accredited by the Law Society of South Africa (LSSA). The legal profession in South Africa is divided into two branches: lawyers and lawyers. Completion of an LLB is a prerequisite for both. Completion of the study program allows admission as a trainee lawyer and is the only recognized academic qualification. Completion of two years of articling is not required by the New York Bar, as I know someone who did his LLB at Wits and went straight to the New York Bar. An LLB degree also allows for immediate acceptance into the “role” of lawyers in south Africa`s Upper Court.So, basically the UNISA degree allows both branches of law to be practiced in South Africa. Section 520.6 of the Court of Appeals Rules for the Admission of Lawyers and Legal Counsel [22 NYCRR 520.6] contains the admission requirements for candidates who wish to qualify for the New York State Bar Exam. on the study of law in a foreign country. The requirements are as follows:(1) that the applicant has met the educational requirements for admission to practice law in a country other than the United States; The UNISA diploma meets this requirement. (2) the applicant has successfully obtained a law degree in one or more law faculties whose duration is at least equivalent to the duration required by paragraphs (d) and (e) of section 520.3; There could be a problem here.